1000 W. Fulton Market
1000 West Fulton Market was built in 1923. At the time it was a cutting-edge refrigeration facility right in the heart of the Fulton Market District, Chicago Illinois. Frozen at subzero temperatures for more than 80 years many of the rooms were iced over with stalagmites and stalactites. Acquired in 2012 by Sterling Bay, the cold storage will be decommissioned and the building will be converted to an high-tech, LEED certified office and retail building to accommodate multiple tenants with 385,000 available square feet. These photographs reflect the structure prior to decommission, before melting of the ice and the aftermath in the basement during the thaw.